Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Partly Cloudy Day 79° Partly Cloudy
News >  Crime/Public Safety

Discarded cigarette ignites Pullman apartment building, fire department says

UPDATED: Sun., June 6, 2021

A fire started by a cigarette at a Pullman apartment complex caused $10,000 in damage Friday night, officials said.

Residents of the burning apartment complex at 1024 Latah St. called 911 around 5:45 p.m. Friday to report a balcony fire, according to a Pullman Fire Department news release.

One resident tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher before police arrived. The resident found the extinguisher was out-of-date, the release said.

Two Pullman police officers who arrived first used their fire extinguishers to curb the blaze while residents escaped, before firefighters arrived and extinguished the remaining embers, the release said.

Heat from the fire melted the vinyl siding on the apartment building and the staircase, and smoke damaged one unit.

Fire investigator Tony Nuttman determined an improperly discarded cigarette started the fire.

All residents returned to their apartments after firefighters removed the vinyl siding and cleared the walkway, the release said.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter

Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.