Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper The Spokesman-Review

Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883
Clear Night 45° Clear
News >  Spokane

Spokane Valley Fire roundup:

Spokane Valley firefighters respond to an early morning fire Nov. 1 in the 1100 block of North Pierce Road, where they were able to keep the fire contained to trailers and trees with no damage to nearby buildings.  (Courtesy of Spokane Valley Fire Department)
Spokane Valley firefighters respond to an early morning fire Nov. 1 in the 1100 block of North Pierce Road, where they were able to keep the fire contained to trailers and trees with no damage to nearby buildings. (Courtesy of Spokane Valley Fire Department)
By Nina Culver For The Spokesman-Review

Fires and medical issues are not the only reasons that the Spokane Valley Fire Department is summoned. Sometimes those calls for help involve hazardous materials.

Crews were called to Kaiser Aluminum off Sullivan Road at 1:27 p.m. on Sunday after receiving a report that an employee had accidentally inhaled chlorine gas, said department spokeswoman Julie Happy. A chlorine leak was reported at the scene.

Employees were evacuated from the area and a hazardous materials team from the Spokane Fire Department was called to help. The leak was stopped and the area was ventilated to disperse the gas.

The injured employee was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

Other calls from Nov. 1-7

Nov. 1: A vehicle fire was reported in the 1100 block of North Pierce Road at 12:38 a.m. Crews arrived to find fire visible from the road, but no clear way to access it. Crews used a parking lot to access the area and found their way blocked by a chain-link fence and burning arborvitae. Two campers were also on fire. The fence was cut and the fires put out. A possible illegal fire was reported in the 19500 block of East Micaview Drive at 5:11 p.m. Crews found the homeowners burning a pile of painted household window and door trim. The fire was put out when the owners were informed it was illegal. A fire alarm sounded at a hotel in the 12800 block of East Sprague Avenue and people were evacuated. The trouble was traced to a leaky sprinkler pipe in the sprinkler control room. There was no fire.

Nov. 2: A small fire was reported in the 4200 block of East Sprague at 1:22 a.m. A homeless person was cooking dinner by burning twigs and paper. The crew stayed until the meal was done, then asked that the fire be put out. They left a blanket and water for the person. A car crash was reported in the 14100 block of East Indiana Avenue at 10:05 p.m. Crews arrived to find a single vehicle on its side with no one around. A light pole had been knocked down.

Nov. 3: A possible illegal fire was reported in the 1700 block of North Locust Road at 7:26 p.m. Crews found the homeowner burning a large pile of bark and leaves. Burning yard waste is illegal and the homeowner was told to put the fire out.

Nov. 4: A fire was reported in a commercial building at Trent Avenue and Lockwood Road at 7:54 p.m. A second alarm was called to bring more crews to help put the fire out. The garage at the business, Gober Sewer, was damaged. While crews were putting out the fire, two passing vehicles crashed into each other. The drivers were not injured.

Nov. 5: A dumpster fire was reported in the 2200 block of North Argonne Road at 2:50 a.m. The dumpster was mostly empty and the fire was quickly put out. A fire was reported in a commercial building at Cataldo Avenue and Charles Road at 4:53 p.m. A small fire was located in a bathroom and was put out.

Nov. 6: An elevator was reported to be stuck between the first and second floor at the CenterPointe Building at Main Avenue and Dishman-Mica Road at 2:49 p.m.

Nov. 7: A fire was reported in a pile of household and construction waste at Sunshine Disposal on University Road at 9:51 a.m. Employees attempted to put the fire out with fire extinguishers unsuccessfully. They reported that a faulty light fixture had started the fire. The fire was put out.

By the numbers: Crews responded to 426 calls the week of Nov. 1-7, including 349 calls for emergency medical services. Other responses included 22 car crashes, a shed fire and a fire alarm triggered by the homeowner seasoning a cast iron pan.

The Spokesman-Review Newspaper

Local journalism is essential.

Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.

Active Person

Subscribe now to get breaking news alerts in your email inbox

Get breaking news delivered to your inbox as it happens.