Hard to imagine any better way to observe last call
The Mayans couldn’t have imagined the end of the world would be such a rockin’ affair.
Y2K ain’t got nothin’ on the hype behind the planet’s latest predicted deadline.
Even Santa is having a hard time keeping his stockings up for the Christmas that may never come, as the globe is going bonkers for zombies and end-of-the-world themed soirees.
Solomon Grundy and Frankenstein have never looked so fashionable this far from Halloween.
Here’s a look at your best bets to party like it’s your last night on Earth.
• Weekend Warriors outfit Wildcard and OverTime have had a successful run with their End Is Now regional touring leading up to tonight’s finale. A horde of local emcees fill the bill, including Freetime Synthetic, Cordell Drake, Downlow, Dirty Savage, Prepeboi, and Kagah, hosted by DJ Daethstar.
The show starts at 9 p.m. at A Club, 416 W. Sprague Ave. Cost: $5, 21 and older only.
• Doomsday hits with a party of punk-rock proportions with Dumpster Juice, Revolt and Dish Wizard tonight at 10 p.m. at Mootsy’s, 406 W. Sprague Ave. Cover is $5.
• Could It Be The End of the World?! sets the stage for the early all-ages crowd led by The Backups, Unplug and Austin Ferris at 5:30 p.m. at The Hop, 706 N. Monroe St. Cover is $5.
• The End of the Mayan Calendar Celebration makes for the late show at The Hop, starting at 8 p.m. with Knuckle Deep, Facedown, T. and Beay, Black Water Prophet, Elysa Johnson and local punk-rock veterans Reason For Existence. Cover is $5.
Spinning to the end
If you check the store windows at your local head shops you’ll no doubt see an array of DJ posters. You know, the ones with the scantily clad women wearing snowflake bikinis and Santa hats and standing suggestively over a scaled down mushroom cloud.
There’s no shortage of world-ending DJ dance parties along those lines.
• End of the World Apocalyptically Ugly Sweaters party at The Marquee mixes merriment with the macabre. As MC Squared spins hot tracks prizes will be given for the ugliest sweaters. Music starts at 9 p.m. at The Marquee Lounge, 522 W. Riverside Ave. No cover announced.
• The End of the World Party at Irv’s Bar goes until 4 a.m., featuring DJ Prophecy teamed up with charismatic host Nova Kaine. Music starts at 9 p.m. at the bar, 417 W. Sprague Ave. No cover announced.
• The Word Ends With You, bringing a dozen DJs under one roof for a ravematic smackdown, includes spin doctors Atum from Veil of Ra, Bronny, Mikoto Chan, Track, Madd Anthem, Delereum vs. Medik, Mad Science and more. The party starts at 8 p.m. at The Grail, 4720 Seltice Ave. in Coeur d’Alene. Cover is $18, $8 for students and military.
The end-of-the-world parties continue even into the post-apocalypse at The Grail. Look out for the dead to rise again for the zombie apocalypse with In Dire Need and Euphoric Recall on Saturday at 7 p.m. Cover is $5, 18 and older welcome. Zombies get in two-for-one. The dress code includes tattered clothing and the overall stench of decay.