The 2020 Academy Awards are today, and the annual Oscars ceremony falls this year on another very important day in America: National Pizza Day.
In nine months now of residing in my new home of Spokane, I’ve had my fair share of pizza, but I certainly haven’t dined at all 30 of the local, mom-and-pop and chain locations on The Spokesman-Review, Yelp and Trip Advisor lists below, with some of the businesses repeated.
My favorite of 2019 is South Perry Pizza (1011 S. Perry St., (509) 290-6047 and southperrypizzaspokane.com). The cozy indoor-outdoor local’s spot is nestled in the South Perry District, and it’s the type of place I’d frequent all the time if I lived in the neighborhood.
I love South Perry Pizza’s seasonal pizza selections – back in August, I shared Jamaican jerk and peach prosciutto pizzas and arugula and quinoa salad, as well as the classic pepperoni – and don’t forget about the beer and dessert menus.
Honorable mentions go to the following three places:
Fire Artisan Pizza (816 W. Sprague Ave., (509) 413-1856 and firepizzaspokane.com) – the poke pizza is a standout, and Fire is only two blocks from work downtown.
Boiler Room (6501 N. Cedar St., (509) 863-9213 and boilerroompizza.com) – the pesto pizza was ordered during two consecutive stop-ins, you can’t go wrong with the classic pepperoni (déjà vu!), and the all-day Happy Hour on Sunday is a nice bonus.
Northwest Pizza (10620 E 16th Ave., Spokane Valley, (509) 315-8857 and nwpizzaco.com) – this takeout place, introduced to me by two friends in Spokane Valley, is a Spokane Valley gem despite not making any of the three lists below.
Don’t miss the pizza dough recipe, published in Wednesday’s Food section of The Spokesman-Review, by Audrey Alfaro of the weekly recipe feature Dorothy Dean Presents, in case you overlooked it the first time around.
Without further ado, here are the Top 10 pizza places in Spokane courtesy of Yelp and Trip Advisor as of today:
YELP’S TOP 10
1. DiNardi’s Pizza & Pasta, 829 E. Boone Ave., (509) 960-7949 and dinardispizzapasta.com
2. South Perry Pizza
3. The Flying Goat, 3318 W. Northwest Blvd., (509) 327-8277 and theflyinggoat.com
4. Fire Artisan Pizza
5. Market Street Pizza, 2721 N. Market St., (509) 822-7874 and facebook.com
6. Veraci Pizza, 1333 W. Summit Parkway, (509) 389-0029 and veracipizza.com
7. Blaze Fast-Fired Pizza, 926 N. Division St., (509) 326-0800 and blazepizza.com
8. McClain’s Pizzeria, 10208 N. Division St., (509) 368-9045 and mcclainspizzeriaspokane.com
9. Pizza Rita, 502 W. Indiana Ave., (509) 325-3284 and pizzarita.net
10. Jimmy B’s Pizza Parlor, 7115 N. Division St., (509) 467-4603 and jimmybspizzaparlor.com
TRIP ADVISOR’S TOP 10
1. The Flying Goat
2. Veraci Pizza
3. Fire Artisan Pizza
4. Allie’s Vegan Pizzeria & Café, 1314 S. Grand Blvd., (509) 321-7090 and alliesvegan.com
5. Republic Pi, 611 E. 30th Ave., (509) 863-9196 and republicpi.com
6. Blaze Fast-Fired Pizza
7. Rocky Rococo, 520 W. Main St., (509) 747-1000 and rockyrococo.com
8. Caruso’s Sandwiches and Artisan Pizza, 1120 N. Division St., (509) 868-0585 and carusoandco.com
9. David’s Pizza, 803 W. Mallon Ave., (509) 483-7460 and davidspizza.com
10. Boiler Room
It’s interesting that the top two on Yelp, DiNardi’s and South Perry Pizza, don’t even make the Top 10 on Trip Advisor, but, unsurprisingly, it just goes to show you once again the great divide between the favorites of residents and visitors – for pretty much anything and everything.
I haven’t dined at DiNardi’s and the Flying Goat, so they’re on my must-dine list now. Finally, here is a Top 10 pizza list by The Spokesman-Review from 2017.
Happy National Pizza Day! And let’s be honest: These lists are good – any way you slice it – all year long.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Spokane7 email newsletter
Get the day’s top entertainment headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.