Spokane firefighters quickly extinguished an underground fire on Riverside Avenue on Friday, but not before it cut off power to multiple nearby businesses and traffic signals.
Shortly after 11 a.m., Avista announced on Twitter that power had been restored.
The fire also disrupted internet service for Spokane Public Schools’ administration buildings, the district announced in an email, blacking out digital services including its website, Blackboard, Clever and VPN.
School email, Onedrive and Teams were not impacted.
The fire was reported at about 5:30 a.m. by an employee of the Parkade who heard an alarm sounding from the Sherwood building at 510 W. Riverside Ave., according to the Spokane Fire Department.
Smoke was spotted spewing from a manhole and the fire was traced to the underground vault that houses utilities, including electrical lines. It was quickly stamped out.
As of about 7 a.m., the 500 block of Riverside Avenue was still closed off as firefighters investigated alarms for a loss of power at several nearby buildings and Avista crews arrived to inspect and repair electrical damage.
The city reminded motorists on Friday that when the lights are out at an intersection, it is to be treated as a four-way stop.
Local journalism is essential.
Give directly to The Spokesman-Review's Northwest Passages community forums series -- which helps to offset the costs of several reporter and editor positions at the newspaper -- by using the easy options below. Gifts processed in this system are not tax deductible, but are predominately used to help meet the local financial requirements needed to receive national matching-grant funds.
Subscribe to the Coronavirus newsletter
Get the day’s latest Coronavirus news delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.