Arrow-right Camera
The Spokesman-Review Newspaper
Spokane, Washington  Est. May 19, 1883

Former Mead High School teacher Wesley Perez, accused of having relationship with minor student, out of jail on bond

Wesley Perez, a former Mead school teacher, makes his first appearance via video link in a Spokane County courtroom May 24, 2018, on charges that he had a sexual relationship with a student. (Jesse Tinsley / The Spokesman-Review)

A former Mead High School teacher accused of having a sexual relationship with one of his students is out of custody after posting bail.

Court records say Wesley G. Perez, 37, paid the $50,000 bail through All City Bail Bonds on June 20. But because he was ordered by the court to not have contact with minors as part of his charges of sex with a minor and communication with a minor for immoral purposes, Perez is not allowed to be with his wife and children.

In a motion filed July 13, Perez’s attorney J. Brendan Kidd asked a judge to amend the release conditions so that he may help care for the children while his wife works. Included in the motion is a Child Protective Service report that says their investigation into Perez, which began after his arrest, was closed. The report, which is only three paragraphs long, makes no indication as to whether it would be inadvisable for Perez to be at home.

Perez’s previous attorney, Steve Graham, removed himself from the case in late June after it was discovered there was a potential conflict of interest.

According to court records, Perez is currently staying at a home on West Mission Avenue.

The 37-year-old was placed on administrative leave in April and arrested in May. Detectives say Perez had a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student for more than a year that included having sexual interactions in his classroom between classes.

Days after arrest, Spokane County Sheriff’s deputies further accused Perez of telling the student to deny the relationship, including concocting a story of how they met and having her delete messages and conversations.

Perez’s trial was delayed until early September.