u 2019 Washington Primary Election, Aug. 6
The race for Spokane County Fire District 10 commissioner comes down to financial versus emergency management experience. After the first primary election for a District 10 commissioner in more than a decade, voters whittled down their choices to Gordon Hester, a volunteer district 10 captain, who has been a commercial real estate broker for about 30 years, and Kevin Haughton, a Spokane city fire lieutenant, who has worked with Northwest Incident Management teams for about 13 years.
Spokane County Fire District 5 Commissioner Isla Durheim and challenger Ed Marston rode the same school bus together as children.
A total of about 330,000 ballots will be mailed to voters throughout Spokane County this week, ahead of a Nov. 5 election that will see several city hall, school board and fire district races decided. Also included are a dozen advisory votes on state tax and fee increases.
Sarah Slater, a para-educator, faces Jennifer Morton, an assistant to Spokane’s mayor, in the race for a seat on the Airway Heights City Council.
Whether it was Nadine Woodward and Ben Stuckart for mayor, or Breean Beggs and Cindy Wendle for City Council president, candidates for public office laid out different plans for addressing Spokane’s population living on the streets at a Pints and Politics debate downtown Tuesday.
The race for Spokane mayor has been infused with significant cash since the beginning of the month, as outside political committees ramped up their spending power with three weeks to go before Election Day.
Breean Beggs has detailed solutions for Spokane’s most pressing issues. But Cindy Wendle asks why, if he’s an effective leader, haven’t they already been implemented?
A retired Spokane Valley railroad conductor is challenging a 30-year incumbent for his seat on the Spokane Valley Fire Board of Commissioners.
There are two names on the ballot to represent district 3 on the Riverside School Board, but only one candidate wants the position. Sandra Huggins, the incumbent director said she is no longer seeking re-election, even though she originally filed for the election. Huggins missed the deadline to have her name removed from the ballot.
Candidate for the Spokane Valley Fire Commission Bradley Mertens said he hopes to improve communication and work with unions, while incumbent Patrick Burch said a fire commissioner’s first responsibility is to taxpayers, not unions.
- Spokane mayor
- Fairfield Town Council
- Spokane Valley City Council, position 6
- Spokane Valley City Council, position 3
- Spokane Valley City Council, position 2
- Spokane City Council, south district
- Spokane City Council, northwest district
- Spokane City Council, northeast district
- Spokane City Council president
- Liberty Lake City Council, position 7
- Airway Heights City Council, position 7
- Spokane Public Schools Board, position 4
- Nine Mile Falls School Board
- Spokane Public Schools Board, position 2
- Spokane Public Schools Board, position 1
- Spokane Valley Fire Department Commission, position 1
- Spokane County Fire District 3, position 1
- Spokane County Fire District 10 Commission, position 1
Public School District
Choose an election for the latest information on races and measures, headlines and voting results.